Monday, January 06, 2014

As For You, Follow Me

20Peter turned around and saw behind them the disciple Jesus loved—the one who had leaned over to Jesus during supper and asked, “Lord, who will betray you?” 
21Peter asked Jesus, “What about him, Lord?” 
22Jesus replied, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? As for you, follow me.” 
23So the rumor spread among the community of believers that this disciple wouldn’t die. But that isn’t what Jesus said at all. He only said, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?” John 21:20-23

Sometimes we Christians decide that God needs our help running Creation.
We point out things, take on burdens that don't belong to us,
and generally do all we can to bump His elbow.
Now here's a point we must be careful not to miss:
We are to bear each others burdens, be there for each other.
But we must pray for each others needs, not against each others faults.
If I am having a tough time, pray for me, please.
But if I am not living up to your expectations, please don't pray to God:
"Your servant Doug needs some fixing!" 
I have one job as a Christian:
"As for you, follow me."

1 comment:

Doug said...

I was going to write a FDW post last night, but I held off as I didn't feel that I had a proper subject.
I don't ever want to go through the motions and force a post simply because I haven't written for a few days.
This morning I listened to a sermon which brought about this post, so there you go.